CONCEPT ART and ART DIRECTION WITH IAN MCQUE
Ian's McQue will show how his process uses locally sourced reference material to create a compelling and believable world, from sketchbook basics through to a finished digital painting
Ian's aim is to show how his process uses locally sourced reference material to create a compelling and believable world, from sketchbook basics through to a (hopefully!) finished digital painting, while giving a commentary on how each stage helps me in my professional practice as a concept artist. Additionally, Ian would encourage the attendees to ask questions at any point during the workshop - he sees it as an informal conversation rather than a lecture.
DAY 1: BUILDING BLOCKS
- Field Trip
- Sketchbook observations
- Reference gathering with cameras
- Looking & Seeing
DAY 2: CHARACTER BUILDING
- Drawing from Imagination based on observations and reference gathered during the field trip.
- Visual Development of environments/characters/vehicles/props
- Creating thumbnail compositions
DAY 3: BUILDING A BIGGER PICTURE
- Bringing it all together;
- Painting Techniques in Photoshop
- Using color, shape, form, texture, values and light to create a finished piece